Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Changeable?



Frankly, I'm quite an observant and analytical person. 


Sometimes, I tend to go overboard when it comes to analysing, so someone please help me if you think it's obviously unnecessary. 

Initiating questions on things that I see, read or hear had taught me of being a person who doesn't accept things blindly. 

A respected lecturer of mine once said, "Whatever that you get from me, don't just take and accept it. I am not perfect. The things I say might not be correct. You can still make your own research to justify your curiosity."
He mentioned this, if I'm not mistaken, during one of our earlier classes with him. Not exactly those words, but all in all, the same meaning.

I really adore his humbleness. Having had his education in Al-Azhar University, I never experienced any you-are-wrong-and-I-am-right kind of situation, especially when he asked of our opinions on certain things. 

And to be frank again, this is how I wish most of my teachers would be throughout my life as a student. A student, at any time, any place.

Not wanting to sound like I'm demanding or asking too much from other people, in my opinion, the reason why most of our youth today are very afraid to voice out their opinions is because of there were lack of encouragement by their teachers to say what they have in mind. This might happen back during our earlier days in school life where your teachers don't seem to care much about your answers and opinions just because you're 10 or 11. And we tend to get carried away with that feeling, sometimes until now.

Plus, they were so afraid that what they might voice out will be wrong, be it in terms of facts or even common sense. To make it short, the pessimistic culture of ours has made some of our youth as not confident and having unnecessary feeling of insecurity. We are so afraid of 'falling down' and make mistakes. It's not that I'm encouraging you to make mistakes, but if you had try your best, and still fail, everything is in the hands of Allah, determined by Allah. And for sure, there is a hikmah hidden.

We should know that (after trying so hard), it is okay to undergo some mistakes especially if you don't have any clue that it is actually wrong. But it is not okay if you still make mistakes even after knowing that they are wrong. So, I hope you are able to differentiate by now.

Have you ever heard of a saying that says, " The harder you fall, the higher you bounce?"

Experience is what you get throughout that down moment. Due to that failure, you will work yourself up to try harder, ensuring yourself to not fall again.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" (Late Dr Randy Pausch)

Overall, dealing with this kind of issue, it involves everyone. Including the students.

The laziness of some of of our own youth is of course one of the reasons too. (To be frank again..) Wishing to be 'spoon-fed' daily is an ultimate no-no. Sometimes I also had the experience of being 'spoon-fed' even though I don't request to be treated like so. But it is the culture. The culture of wanting things to be perfect so that everything in class will go on smoothly so that less questions and discussions would arise..


Something for me to think about.. are these changeable?


2 comments:

  1. its hard to change the way of thinking of the community.but at least we could start it with ourselves.let the culture of 'spoon-feeding' continue if that is what the community demands.but lets add something to that.-not totally depends on what is given,but find sth extra..such a good topic u came out with. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jazakillah miss NIA for your opinion..
    I agree on that "find smtg extra" thing.. ^_^

    ReplyDelete